Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Brewers Transactions Thread

The Brewers announced that they claimed infielder Josh Wilson off waivers from the Diamondbacks. To correspond with the move, they moved RP Takashi Saito to the 60-day DL. This move means the Brewers 40-man roster is now full.

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone to go chase it. " - Rogers Hornsby

The Milwaukee Brewers have outrighted catcher Wil Nieves to Triple-A Nashville and purchased catcher George Kottaras' contract from the minor league club.

Norichika Aoki

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...p-brewers-aoki

TOKYO (AP)—The Milwaukee Brewers have won the right to negotiate a contract with Japanese outfielder Norichika Aoki.

Aoki’s team, the Yakult Swallows, said Sunday it had accepted the Brewers’ bid of $2.5 million under the posting system.

The Brewers have 30 days to work out a deal with the 29-year-old Aoki, a three-time Central League batting champion.

Aoki batted .292 with four home runs and 44 RBIs in 144 games for the Swallows this season. He has a career batting average of .329 in eight seasons, all with Yakult.

Aoki is the only player in Japanese professional baseball to have had two 200-hit seasons.

Anyone know what is the minimum amount of years for a player in the Japanese league is? Norichika Aoki is just a few years away from the 32-34 decline years. Ichiro was like 27.

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Anyone know what is the minimum amount of years for a player in the Japanese league is? Norichika Aoki is just a few years away from the 32-34 decline years. Ichiro was like 27.
    I don't know the answer to the first question, but do you think that this is in response to Braun's possible suspension?

Does not seem likely given that the Brewers already have two light-hitting outfielders already (Gomez and Morgan). I should think that they'd be looking for some slugging, especially with the need to replace Fielder. Beltran?
    Last edited by Mudge; 12-19-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    I don't know the answer to the first question, but do you think that this is in response to Braun's possible suspension?

Does not seem likely given that the Brewers already have two light-hitting outfielders already (Gomez and Morgan). I should think that they'd be looking for some slugging, especially with the need to replace Fielder. Beltran?
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=aoki--001nor

I'm with you Mudge. Aoki had a OPS of .942 in 07&08 and .944 in 10 before a dismal .718 this year in a 144 games. Take away the smaller parks and add the better pitching and the Brewers would really be taking a gamble.

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar
    The Brewers announced that they have renewed John Axford's contract. Axford will be paid $525,000 and the two parties will continue to discuss a multiyear contract. Axford's salary last year was $442,500.

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Well the bump in pay will be nice for him and maybe they can get a multi-year contract done before the season is over.

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar
    This salary comes close to the minimum salary, doesn't it?

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

The Milwaukee Brewers have signed right-handed pitcher Claudio Vargas to a minor league deal, according to Storm Kirschenbaum of Metis Sports Management, Vargas' agency.

Brew Crew Ball offers some initial thoughts on the addition:

Vargas is still only 33 years old but is an eight year major league veteran with a 4.83 career ERA over 217 appearances (114 starts). This is his third tour of duty in the Brewer organization: He pitched in 29 games (23 starts) for the 2007 Brewers, then came back in a trade with the Dodgers two seasons later and made 45 appearances in relief between 2009 and 2010.

Vargas hasn't pitched in the majors since the Brewers released him in June of 2010. He last pitched in affiliated ball with the Rockies in 2011, but retired in June after posting an 11.08 ERA in eight AAA appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Nicholson-Smith | MLBTR
    The Brewers have claimed infielder Cody Ransom off of waivers from the Diamondbacks, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel tweets. Ransom has played 100 MLB games at shortstop, so he provides the Brewers with depth alongside Cesar Izturis. The Brewers confirmed the claim, announcing that they've optioned Edwin Maysonet to the minors and moved Alex Gonzalez to the 60-day disabled list in corresponding moves.

Ransom posted a .269/.345/.577 batting line in 58 plate appearances with the Diamondbacks this year, but they removed him from the 40-man roster earlier this week by designating him for assignment. The 36-year-old played third base and shortstop, the same two positions he appeared at in 2011. Haudricourt reported earlier today that the Brewers were interested in adding shortstop help and Ransom's a fit since he has played more games at shortstop than at any other position. He has a .226/.310/.409 batting line in parts of ten seasons at the MLB level.
    Not a bad move. Maybe Ransom can inject some consistent life into an offense that is dead 2 out of 3 games in every series. Plus, he's likely to be an offensive upgrade over Cesar Izturis, no matter what, so that's good.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
    - Luna Lovegood

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information