Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rays Transaction Thread

Tampa Bay Rays Rays Transaction Thread

Discuss and Post Rays Transactions Here

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar
    So far the Rays haven't done much. They've traded Jason Bartlett to the Padres, signed Joel Peralta, but no major acquirements were made.
    With a couple of pitchers gone, with Pena and Crawford gone and with relevation Soriano gone, do you think that they have become weaker? Not necessarily in my opinion. The replacement for Carl Crawford is ready: Desmond Jennings. The guy is fast as lightning and has some good defense. His hitting must improve (he hit .190 in 22 at bats in 17 games in 2010). When it comes to the offense of Carl Pena it won't be hard to find a replacement. A lot of their (relief) pitchers has filed for free agency. If there is one I would really try to resign, it should be Soriano (although you may think that closer is a vastly overrated position). For the rest they have a pretty deep farm system where they can get some pitchers. But you will always have to wait how the prospects pan out.

Thoughts on this?

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Tampa Bay Rays Upton avoids arbitration

The Tampa Bay Rays and Justin Upton have agreed on a one year, $4.825 million contract, thus avoiding salary arbitration.
    Due to this agreement, Andy Sonnanstine remains the only Ray who is eligible for arbitration.

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Tampa Bay is also one of two front-runners, along with the Rangers, to sign outfielder/designated hitter Manny Ramirez, a source said.
    The Rays are also a front runner in getting Damon. It would be very interesting to see Manny and Damon on the same team again, and it would at least soften the blow of losing Crawford this off-season.
    http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/justindog93/PiratesBannerForrexis.png

Rays' Rocco Baldelli, 29, retires after an injury-marred career. He came out with such promise but really peaked in 2004. He has been oft-injured and mostly ineffective since.

He will now move tot he Rays front office, working in the scouting and player development department.

Infielder Felipe Lopez has agreed to a minor league contract with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Lopez batted .233 with eight homers, 37 RBIs and eight steals last season for the St. Louis Cardinals and Boston Red Sox. The Cardinals released him on Sept. 21, one day after he was late arriving for a game against Florida.

Right-hander Juan Cruz has agreed to a minor league contract with the Tampa Bay Rays and will join the team at spring training.

The Rays assigned the following players to minor league camp on Saturday:

First baseman Casey Kotchman; infielders Joe Inglett, Felipe Lopez and Ray Olmedo; first baseman/outfielder Chris Carter; outfielder Justin Ruggiano; and catchers Craig Albernaz and Jose Lobaton.

Rays sign Davis long term

The Tampa Bay Rays have signed SP Wade Davis to a seven year contract, worth approximately 35 MM. Once again the Rays know how to get a bargain. Remember the Longoria signing?

The agreement features four guaranteed seasons and three years of club options for the 2015, '16 and '17 seasons. If all of the options are exercised, the deal would be worth approximately $35.1 million, and $12.6 million of it is guaranteed.

Good signing for the Rays. I wonder what the motives of Davis were to sign for a relatively small amount. Maybe he isn't just as greedy as many other MLB players.

I'm not comparing Wade Davis to Ryan Braun by any means but this was a similar deal. The Brewers signed Braun for 8 years worth I believe around $45MM. They did the same thing with Wade Davis and it was smart, lock him up early long-term and it'll save money. To this day, Ryan Braun is as happy as he's ever been with the Brewers and about 2 months ago, he let the Brewers fans and all of baseball know that his current contract is absolutely fine and has no intentions whatsoever of asking for more or restructuring his contract. He has made it clear that the money is not an issue.

I'm a fan of this deal, it's great to see players who don't care about the money. After all $35MM for the next 7 years should be just fine for Wade Davis.

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone to go chase it. " - Rogers Hornsby

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information