Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brian Cashman Thread

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar

New York Yankees The Brian Cashman Thread

I have read in many NY media that they blame Brian Cashman for betting on one horse during the off season.

I don't think that is fair. I can not imagine that he makes the decision on his own. He surely will meet with the Steinbrenners who tell him which players to acquire.

Thoughts?

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

I think this is totally fair. I love what Brian Cashman has done for the Yanks but this year he telegraphed his intentions to everyone and put all his eggs in the Lee Basket.

Big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    I think this is totally fair. I love what Brian Cashman has done for the Yanks but this year he telegraphed his intentions to everyone and put all his eggs in the Lee Basket.

Big mistake.
    But then I don't think that he makes this decision all by himself.

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Yeah, you have to assess any GM, like Cashman, over the long haul -- if of course he is lucky enough to make it over the long haul.

Maybe this has not been his best year (at least in the eyes of the ever-so-patient NY press), but he has put together winner after winner, and not always under the easiest of circumstances I might add.
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Yes, Cashman chased Lee hard and everyone knew it. But it wasn't just Cashman broadcasting it, it was the lack of quality free agents for the Yankees to chase. Outside of Lee, what other player(s) fit a need for them? Cashman made his push, he lost for reasons outside of his control.
    In the meantime, he's building a fantastic farm system and is looking to infuse the Yankee lineup with home grown talent while acquiring valuable players via free agency. Having that balance is how teams win. Bought teams often come up short or have a short shelf life. Completely developed teams often miss on peaks. Cashman is trying to find that mix to create another dynasty. With young players (that Cashman has held on to) like Jesus Montero, Manuel Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Austin Romine and Andrew Brackman, the Yankees have options for move or promote. Cashman is doing a good job with the constraints that come with being the Yankees GM...where it's World Series or bust every year, in the eyes of the fans and the owners.

New York Yankees Dilemma for Cashman

Brian Cashman is facing a dilemma.
    Rafael Soriano is willing to join the Yankees to serve as a set up man for Mariano Rivera, but the Yankees are not willing to give up their first round draft pick for him. "We would have done this for Cliff Lee, but in other cases we are very protective of our draft picks like we have been for years", Cashman said.

I'd like to see them sign Soriano. He would be the perfect suitor of Mo after his retirment.

but didn't they get a sandwich pick for Vazquez????? this would upset me as a Yankee fan if i were one, and would never happen if The Boss was still in charge

I agree with Cashman. Keep the draft pick. Bullpen help is not big enough of an issue to cough up a 1st round draft pick.

In that case, Soria of the Royals would be an option, IF the Yankees are intersted in him and if the Royals don't overask.

I think the Yanks need to grab Soriano if he's willing to come to the Bronx. This off-season has been a tough one for the Pinstripers, and they are going to need a solid bullpen to support a seemingly weak overall rotation (assuming Pettite doesn't come back).

While it's not the acquistion that many Yank's fans hoped for, it's a good move to solidfy their late inning pitching.

Since when do the Yanks give a &%^ about draft picks?!?!?!?
    http://baseballnation.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=128455759  2

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information