Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Young: A Rare Breed

Texas Rangers Michael Young: A Rare Breed

Veteran willing to give up position to remain in Texas, help team

The Adrian Beltre signing will work for the Texas Rangers, not only because of Beltre's significant talent, but because Michael Young's attitude will allow it to work.

The Rangers signed Beltre to a six-year, $96 million contract. He is a superb defensive third baseman, and at 31, he is coming off the second-best offensive season of his career.

But the arrival of Beltre means that Young, the unofficial captain of this team and its clubhouse focal point for years, will be displaced at third. This is a player of real stature with the Rangers and throughout baseball. This is a team that just won its first American League pennant. With another player who had this much standing in the game, this could be a problem. With Michael Young, it won't be a problem.

Young has agreed to become the Rangers' primary designated hitter and "super utility" infielder. He expects to get playing time at all four infield positions, including first base, where he has never previously played.

The willingness to put the needs of the team first is not a new development for Young. He came up as a second baseman, was moved to short, and more recently, moved to third to make way for Elvis Andrus.

For Young, the desire to remain with the Rangers is a larger factor than the desire to have things his own way.

"This is where I want to play," he said Wednesday in a teleconference. "I'm willing to make a pretty big sacrifice to do that."
    It makes me real happy to know that players like this still exist. This guy would turn down that big fat yankee contract to stay in Texas any day of the week. I love that about him.

Interesting. Along with a good attitude, Young's versatility is the key to making it work well.

The Rangers needed a DH, so that works well.

Kinsler is an injury risk, so that works well.

Chris Davis may or may not be able to fill the bill at first, so that works well.
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

This is awesome to see. I like when ANY player puts team over personal interest.

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar
    How many players would have done this? Good to see that there are still unselfish players. I tip my cap for him.

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Cathy
    I wish they would OFFICIALLY place the Captain's tag on him

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
    I wish they would OFFICIALLY place the Captain's tag on him
    That is the least thing that they can do.

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Young is clearly a good fella to have around, there was some talk on a couple of Mets blogs about us trading Beltran for him, but that's clearly all it was - just talk. Texas could be in with a shot again this year, they seem to have all of a sudden become one of baseball's prime movers and shakers.

The Texas Rangers are exploring trade options for five-time All-Star shortstop Michael Young at the player's request after he became upset about the team's plan to move him to third base.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Sunday night during a hastily called conference call that the team has looked into trade possibilities but remains hopeful Young will remain in Texas.

Young

"Our desire is for Michael to play third base," Daniels said. "Obviously though, he's got to buy into what we're doing."

The Rangers would like to move Young to third to make room for highly touted prospect Elvis Andrus at shortstop. The 20-year-old Andrus came to Texas in July 2007 in the trade that sent Mark Teixeira to Atlanta.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3826455
    Well he's learning. ^This didn't work out so well for him last year.

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

Michael Young is a class guy and an All Star. I hope Texas realizes what a good thing they have in him.

A lot like Chipper Jones, guys that are all for their city. For me, that is about the most respecting thing you can do these days in the MLB.
    http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/justindog93/PiratesBannerForrexis.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information