Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only in baseball does the coach wear a jersey and a nunber like the players

Only in baseball does the coach wear a jersey and a nunber like the players

Just realized how ridiculous that really is, with tony larussa´s number 10 even being retired in st.louis.......that is taking it too far...........why does coaches in MLB wear player jerseys ?

Tradition and the fact there use to be more player/managers. I like the look of the base coaches in uniform compared to a suit and tie or team colors like NFL coaches wear. Of course I've followed the game since the latter 50's.

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Tradition and the fact there use to be more player/managers. I like the look of the base coaches in uniform compared to a suit and tie or team colors like NFL coaches wear. Of course I've followed the game since the latter 50's.
    okay, but you gotta admit it don´t look good with tight pants + player jersey, and then a huge gut.......

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    okay, but you gotta admit it don´t look good with tight pants + player jersey, and then a huge gut.......
    Surely that was not LaRussa.

In any event, I'm with OS. I like the look, especially when they wear their pants/socks correctly.
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Well you have everyone in the stands wearing some team element, so to do away with the uniform for the coach would have him wearing a t-shirt or something? Or would he pretend to not be so common in his support the team by wearing the same as a fan. Or would he have a special super fan outfit with general markings? A suit or casual wear would not endure him to the loyal fans, and would mark him for an easy exit if he wasn't doing so well. Bobby V might have been sent packing already if he wore a Kimono from Japan
    "With out our traditions our lives would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof."

I don't recall ever wanting to change anything about the game since I followed it, as far as the way it was played or what they did. Even when the DH came about in the AL I just accepted it without much thought. Guess this is the reason I don't second guess decisions or project very much.

As a kid....and keep in mind I'm now old...I can remember seeing pictures on the sports pages of Connie Mack and Burt Shotton in street clothes managing from the dugout....Now talk about something I thought looked ridiculous...-BH
    “Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona....” George F. Will

Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Connie Mack and Burt Shotton in street clothes managing from the dugout....
    Back then "street clothes" meant a coat and tie, which I think would be the only other acceptable alternative to the current uniform. IMO, the current look is great despite the physical attributes of some managers. Bobby Cox actually wore spikes along with the uniform!!

I'm so use to it in MLB but the visual of a NFL coach in full gear or a NBA coach wearing shorts sure gives me a chuckle. Belichick would have a helmet hooked up to satellite. Big ol' 6 ft antennas and all.

right, NBA coaches should wear shorts and jerseys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information