Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Bryce Harper Discussion Thread

Harper was on the cover of SI at 16 and has antagonized a number of opponents in the minors, none more memorably than when he blew a kiss after hitting a home run. OK, so we know he's young, cocky, and immature, not exactly a revelation. If he hits, the Nats will find a place for him. They always do in baseball - a good bat covers a multitude of sins. If he doesn't make it, he'll hardly be the first highly touted prospect to flame out. I remember the Mets "can't-miss" prodigy Lastings Milledge, who was just as cocky as Harper and antagonized teammates and opponents with his arrogance and antics. Milledge had flashes of promise, but the thing he did best was strike out. He's now playing with the Tokyo Yakult Swallows.

Hopefully, Harper is the real deal. Eventually, he'll even grow up one day.
    Last edited by Mex86; 04-30-2012 at 02:43 AM.

The kid went 3-4 and he absolutely tearing it up. He is definitely a great baseball player. He knows how to play the game.

I made this the "Official Bryce Harper Discussion Thread" ---- Thread formerly known as "Bryce Harper to make MLB Debut"

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone to go chase it. " - Rogers Hornsby

Kid is doing okay so far. I just don't buy the 'he had nothing to prove at AAA' or 'he was trying to hard at AAA' same could be said for every kid in the minors on 'trying to hard.'

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

BN Staff Member yankeebiscuitfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
    The kid went 3-4 and he absolutely tearing it up. He is definitely a great baseball player. He knows how to play the game.

I made this the "Official Bryce Harper Discussion Thread" ---- Thread formerly known as "Bryce Harper to make MLB Debut"
    Since there was a thread about Harper, made by RickD, already, I have merged both.

YBF

The Yankees' link with the Netherlands since 1981

The Netherlands: 2011 World Champions baseball, beating Cuba twice (4-1 and 2-1)!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Kid is doing okay so far. I just don't buy the 'he had nothing to prove at AAA' or 'he was trying to hard at AAA' same could be said for every kid in the minors on 'trying to hard.'
    Yeah, the press is pushing pretty hard for the guy. And why not? He practically writes stories for them. Sportswriters must get bored writing about the same homogenized players over and over.

So far he's been playing like he's been in the big leagues forever. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have been very impressed by him. I love his hustle. Wish every player would do that

Interesting...

WASHINGTON -- Cole Hamels admits it: He plunked rookie phenom Bryce Harper on purpose.

"I was trying to hit him," the Philadelphia lefty said. "I'm not going to deny it."

That startling bit of honesty came after Hamels nailed the Washington teen with a fastball in the small of the back his first time up during the Phillies' 9-3 win Sunday night. The candid remark is also certain to cost Hamels a suspension from Major League Baseball.

Harper came up with two outs in the first inning and Hamels promptly drilled the 19-year-old.

Why, exactly?

"That's something I grew up watching, that's kind of what happened. So I'm just trying to continue the old baseball because I think some people are kind of getting away from it. I remember when I was a rookie the strike zone was really, really small and you didn't say anything because that's the way baseball is," Hamels said.

"But I think unfortunately the league's protecting certain players and making it not that old-school, prestigious way of baseball," he said.

In other words, Hamels said, "It's just, 'Welcome to the big leagues.' "

Harper quickly evened the score with Hamels. After taking third on a single, Harper broke for the plate when Hamels made a pickoff throw to first. Harper stole home, sliding in safely for the first swipe of his eight-game big league career.

"I think he kind of did that for me," Hamels said.

Harper brushed off Hamels' comments on the purpose pitch.

"Hamels threw a great game tonight," he said.

In the third inning, Washington starter Jordan Zimmermann hit Hamels in the left leg with one out and a runner on first when the Phillies pitcher squared to bunt. Home plate umpire Andy Fletcher warned both dugouts.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/78...its-aiming-him

If Hamels had kept quiet, or if he said he wasn't throwing at Harper, no fine, no suspension. But because he was honest about it, he will be disciplined. Also because yes, MLB likely wants to protect one of its best young prospects. It's odd that Hamels decided to throw at him seemingly out of the blue; not like Harper had nailed him with a home run or showed him up. Unless he hit him because he doesn't like Harper's style or media hype.

Sure enough, Hamels is suspended 5 games for the plunking.

Which of course doesn't affect his playing time at all, so it's just a gesture by MLB.

I love the way this is playing out. The Nats-Phillies rivalry is going to be a lot of fun.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information