Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extent of Ellsbury's shoulder injury unknown; Red Sox expect to call up outfielder

Cathy

Boston Red Sox Extent of Ellsbury's shoulder injury unknown; Red Sox expect to call up outfielder

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/pr...s_bos&c_id=bos

BOSTON -- A 12-2 romp over the Rays in the home opener would usually represent a joyous occasion for the Red Sox, but the uncertainty regarding the health of star center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury put at least a little bit of a damper on an otherwise festive Friday at Fenway Park.

Ellsbury injured his right shoulder while making a takeout slide into second base on Dustin Pedroia's 6-3 double play ball in the fourth inning.

Ellsbury was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for observation. The Red Sox had no update after the game, and they didn't anticipate releasing any news until Saturday.

Manager Bobby Valentine did acknowledge that he expects to have another outfielder on his roster by game-time on Saturday. It should be noted that Che-Hsuan Lin was scratched from Triple-A Pawtucket's lineup on Saturday. Lin is on the 40-man roster, so it's highly logical that he could be the outfielder promoted to Boston.

Ellsbury suffered the injury in a collision with Rays shortstop Reid Brignac. In fact, Brignac accidentally landed on Ellsbury's shoulder as he completed the double play.

"He was breaking on the pitch, I was holding my ground," Brignac said. "I just caught it and got rid of it like every infielder does in that situation. We leave our feet, because when people are trying to take you out and your feet are stuck in the ground, that's how people break knees and ankles and stuff. We're taught to catch, throw and get off our feet. Unfortunately, I fell on his shoulder."

At this point, all the Red Sox can do is hope for the best.

"From hearing the initial reports, we're just hoping for the best," said third baseman Kevin Youkilis. "Hopefully there's no damage or anything in his shoulder. The only thing we've even heard is probably the same thing that everyone has been hearing, which is that it felt like something moved a little bit. We always hope for the best. We know that if it is for the best, then it won't be long, and Jake will come back and do great things for this team."

Already, the Red Sox are down a key cog in the outfield, as Carl Crawford opened the season on the disabled list as he recovers from left wrist surgery. Crawford also experienced some discomfort in his left elbow last week.

Brignac felt bad about the injury.

"It was just an uncontrollable circumstance," Brignac said. "Neither one of us wish that would have happened. I wish that he would be fine, but it's just a baseball thing. It just kind of happened that way."

It was obvious to Brignac that Ellsbury was in agony.

Zoinks. I read somewhere that a doctor looked at the injury, and said that it looked a lot like Jeter's injury in 2003. He was fine after 6 weeks, but the doctor speculated that this could last from eight weeks to a year. I'll find that link...

Here it is. Start reading from paragraph 4.
    Last edited by BennyLeo; 04-13-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added link

Cathy
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLeo View Post
    Zoinks. I read somewhere that a doctor looked at the injury, and said that it looked a lot like Jeter's injury in 2003. He was fine after 6 weeks, but the doctor speculated that this could last from eight weeks to a year. I'll find that link...

Here it is. Start reading from paragraph 4.
    Just what we really need. 9 players already on the DL. 2 of them out for the entire season, 1 out until after the ASB, 1 out for god knows how long (I hope he stays on the DL for the duration of this year, and then goes back to Japan, where he belongs) and the others I don't even know where to begin

Word on the street is that it's dislocated. Expect him to miss at least a few months.

Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBSReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    Open

Hearing ellsbury has a subluxation, a type of dislocation, of right shoulder. Early estimate: Out up to 2 months.
    Tough luck for BOS

Thanks D4A. Thank goodness for Ellsbury that it should be only a couple of months. Stephania Bell ‏ (@Stephania_ESPN) tweeted that it could be more, but it seems to be set for two right now.

Still, two months out of the lineup is a big loss for an already depleted Red Sox outfield (and batting order).
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Still, two months out of the lineup is a big loss for an already depleted Red Sox outfield (and batting order).
    Hey, as much as I hope Ellsbury feels better, I'd much rather see a replacement-level OF against us Yanks than one of the best players in the league.

EDIT: As it turns out, we play the Sox 3 games in April, and then no more until July 6, so we'll get in 3 games of Red Sox whooping
    Last edited by BennyLeo; 04-14-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Man, thats a huge blow to the Red Sox. Already struggling, this doesn't make things any better. I feel bad for the Red Sox. I hate seeing a player like this miss a lot of time. He's definitely fun to watch.

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone to go chase it. " - Rogers Hornsby

MLB on FOX just downgraded it to 4-6 weeks. That softens the blow a bit for the Sox, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information