Thread: Shark wins rotation spot

Shark wins rotation spot

Jeff Samardzija set school records in touchdowns, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns at Notre Dame, has played in bowl games, and in front of 100,000 fans. But on Thursday, he scored a personal goal, securing a spot in the Cubs starting rotation. The right-hander was named as the No. 3 starter, following Ryan Dempster and Matt Garza. Chris Volstad and Paul Maholm round out the starting five.

“This could be right up there,” said Samardzija, who has pitched primarily in relief for the Cubs since he was drafted in 2006. “It’s definitely at the top because I feel I went through college and I just played. It was natural and I didn’t have too many setbacks. I didn’t play much freshman, sophomore year because I was 185 pounds. I didn’t have too many things that I’ve really had to earn and I had to earn this and it feels good. To put that work in and see it pay off, it’s pretty nice.”

Samardzija had a strong spring with the exception of one outing against the Rockies when he gave up seven runs on 10 hits over four innings. On Wednesday, he faced the Indians and threw six scoreless innings, giving up three hits. Cleveland did the same as Colorado, and overloaded the lineup with left-handed hitters.

On Thursday, Samardzija was called into Dale Sveum’s office to get the news.

“We just kind of said ‘thanks’ to each other, for me personally to get the opportunity to do it and they were happy I didn’t take it for granted and just show up and go thorugh the motions,” Samardzija said. “It felt good.”
    Im actually excited to see him in the rotation. With the Cubs in full rebuilding might as well see if Shark can become a legit power SP. I dont think he be top of rotation guy but maybe 3-4 guy in the long run. Shark will be in the 3 spot

Demp
    Garza
    Shark
    Volstad
    Maholm

I still think its a joke that Demp get opening day. I feel that your best SP should go against other teams best SP opening day.

It's been a while since I've heard Samardzija's name bandies about.

Where's he been in the last few years?
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    It's been a while since I've heard Samardzija's name bandies about.

Where's he been in the last few years?
    Last year he was RP with 2.98 ERA. Had great 2nd halve

Thread Information