Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1915 Elkhart Athletics

1915 Elkhart Athletics

I'm new to the Nation, I stumbled upon this org after searching for information on an early century semi pro baseball team, which I had stumbled upon by accident. It has now become my cause to learn everything I can about the team. I have a teminal medical condition and think this cause will be an enjyable and useful way to finish out my life. I'm a newbie at this and am looking for help/guidance/kick in the ass.

If anyone has suggestions on where I could find information on the 1915 Elkhart (Indiana) Athletics I would be forever grateful.

Appreciate any and all replies.

Kris Walker

I googled it and only found semi-pro baseball for Elkhart Kansas. I tried to find more online info about the semi-pro team, Olympic Brewers, that played in my hometown of Pueblo, Colorado and came up empty.

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

Thanks for the attempt. Maybe I'll adopt the Olympic Brewers into my cause.

Quote Originally Posted by klwalk View Post
    Thanks for the attempt. Maybe I'll adopt the Olympic Brewers into my cause.
    They haven't been around since the mid 70's. Out of 6-8 players that went on to MLB, Sal Bando and Mike Scott made the most fame.

Batboy: Get a hit Crash!
    Crash: Shut up!

Backer of Rockies and Yankees.

Those are two good names. The only player that I've been able to come up with who was possibly associated with the Elkhart Athletics was Lou Criger. He was the Red Sox' first opening day catcher and caught most of Cy Young's 511 wins. Not much of a bat but must have been a good glove.

MLB Benchwarmer
    Hi Kris

Welcome to BN.

You might want to try subscribing to some online newspaper archives like Genealogy.com or newspaperarchives.com. You might find some of what you're looking for there. Check and see if your local library has access to proquest.

Good luck.

Great Ideas. I've found an online database of digitized newspapers, only problem is I need new eyes to be able to read them on the screen. Appreciate the advise.

Kris, I googled Lou Criger and found a fanpage for him
    http://loucriger.com/
    It mentions him playing for the Elkhart Truths in the late 1880s as well as some more information from his nephew and his granddaughter and a couple of other sources. I didn't read much of either, but it's possible that there is some information in there.
    I would also suggest contacting the Elkhart newspaper and the local historical society, especially the historical society as I'm certain that they either have information to give or know someone/somewhere to get that information.

http://www.elkhartcountyhof.com/contact.html

That's the contact form for the Elkhart County Hall of Fame as they may be of some use as well. Please keep us updated on this...it's pretty interesting stuff.

Doing a little bit of reading, it appears that Lou Criger probably didn't play with Elkhart (unless it was 1913) after his big league career as his TB was pretty bad at least by 1914. He did have a brother Lou and a son Rollo that could have been involved with the club though.

Did you find this club in a book or online? Regardless, if you do contact someone in an effort to gather more information, it may be helpful to them if you provide the link to the website or a transcript from the book/newspaper/magazine as there may be some detail that helps them, help you. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information