This is the 1st in a daily series of short looks at each team in MLB. The opinions expressed are my own and hopefully these will increase dialogue in each team section.
The teams official website says: We Are Your Astros.
This is the first Astro's team in franchise history to lose 100 games. They have lost 20 more games then 2010 and have a .350 Win %.
Let that sink in for a moment.
- Carlos Lee - In actuality, he may be the only bright spot for the team this year.
- Wandy Rodriguez - with an 11-11 record and his name being floated as trade bait mid-season, Wandy was one of the sole pitching bright spots.
- Mark Melancon - with 20 saves, 8 wins and a 2.78 ERA, Mark was a bright spot in an abysmal bullpen.
- The Starting Rotation
- The Starting Lineup
- The starting rotation needs to be addressed ASAP.
- The current rotation could not get it done and with few bright spots, this is an area that should be priority 1!
- The Astro's have the 1st pick in the 2012 draft!
- The Astros have some young talent that could be a help early next year but need to sign a couple well placed vets to help the team along.
- The Manager's contract is a club option for 2012.
- On September 7, 2011, MLB did formally ask Jim Crane to move the team to the AL West as part of the deal to purchase the Astros, and reportedly it is his stubbornness to keep the team in the NL Central that is preventing the deal from going through. Will the team be moved? Probably!