Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Contest Give-Away

General Baseball Discussion Autograph Contest Give-Away

Hey Guys! Whats up Baseball Nation! Coming to you with a Contest/ Free Give Away! I will be bringing more of these contests to you, Hopefully bringing more traffic to the Baseball Memorabilia section as well as Hobby all together.

The Contest Give Away: Doug Harvey (HOF 2010 Umpire) Autographed Index Card- Signed in Blue Fountain Pen
    Photo: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Harold Douglas Harvey (born March 13, 1930, in South Gate, California) is a former umpire in Major League Baseball, who worked in the National League from 1962 through 1992. Noted for his authoritative command of baseball rules, he earned the tongue in cheek nickname "God" from players, and was among the last major league umpires who never attended an umpiring school. His career total of 4,673 games[1] ranked third in major league history at his retirement, and he is only the ninth umpire to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.[1] In 1999 the Society for American Baseball Research ranked Harvey as the second-greatest umpire in history, behind only Bill Klem.[2][3] In 2007, Referee magazine selected him as one of the 52 most influential figures in the history of sports officiating.[4] Harvey wore uniform number 8 for most of his career.
    Harvey umpired in five World Series (1968, 1974, 1981, 1984 and 1988), serving as crew chief in 1984 and 1988, and in six All-Star Games (1963, 1964, 1971, 1977, 1982 and 1992), calling balls and strikes for the 1982 and 1992 games. He also set a record by officiating in the National League Championship Series nine times – 1970 (Games 2-3), 1972, 1976, 1980, 1983, 1984 (Game 5), 1986, 1989 and 1991 – serving as crew chief for the last three; his record was later tied by Paul Runge, and broken by Bruce Froemming in 2000. Harvey was the home plate umpire for the single-game playoff to decide the NL's Western Division champion in 1980, between the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Harvey_(umpire)

DEADLINE:
    Members must post their guess/answer in this thread by Friday (12:00 pm) ET on 22 July 2011.
    Soon after the contest, I will tally up the winner. The selection process will be at random. Each of you will have a Number depending on the number of posts you rank after this initial post. After the winner is selected at Random, I will notify the winner.

RULES:
    • Simply reply to this thread with your guess or Answer.
    • Please do not PM me with your guess or answer.
    • Only one guess/answer per member.
    • You may not have any BN violations
    • Guesses/Answers may not be changed later (even in a new post) for any reason.
    • Members are NOT allowed to edit their post for any reason.
    • Editing your post automatically eliminates you from this contest and possibly future contests.
    • There will be no ties.
    • Members who violate any of these contest rules are subject to disqualification from the contest.

Question:
    How many regular season games did Doug Harvey Umpire?

Remember Guys, Have Fun! Love ya all and think of you as a Second Family! Soon to come:several other fun contests.
    Last edited by TTMCentral; 07-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.

4,036 games

Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bull Durham

~1 John 4:19~

Banned
    4,673 games.

4,673 games!

4673 games....looks like I'm a bit late.
    http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/justindog93/PiratesBannerForrexis.png

You are not late at all! WHoever has it right will be chosen then from Randomization

al you people who guessed 4,673 didnt pay attention to the question! He did umpire in the post-season, so i am guessing that some of those 4,673 were also of the post-season variety

Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bull Durham

~1 John 4:19~

I believe I've seen several sources in the last year quoting that same 4,673 game figure and they cite the fact that those are regular season game numbers. I'll go with the 4,673 game figure as the regular season game figure.-BH
    “Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona....” George F. Will

4,673 Games. That is really cool how he did not attend an umpire school
    Matthew

I'm going to take a stab and say those playoff games aren't included, what do I have to lose? I'll guess 4,730.

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone to go chase it. " - Rogers Hornsby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information