Thread: Bautista vs. Pujols (Rest of this year)

Bautista vs. Pujols (Rest of this year)

Who do you guys think will be the better hitter the rest of this year...Pujols or Bautista?

I'm gonna go with Bautista but I gotta say...it was awesome to see Pujols get back on track these past 2 games.

Hard to say. Logic would say Bautista but I would not count Albert out yet.

I for some reason am still not a believer in Bautista. I don't know why I am hesitant. He has been able to prove that he is as good/better than last season.

2011 (career average)

Bautista: .331 BABIP (.274); LD% 18.7 (15.3); GB% 35.3 (38.9); FB% 46.0 (48.5)
    Pujols: .261 BABIP (.313); LD% 15.3 (18.8); GB% 47.7 (40.9); FB% 37.7 (40.1)

Pujols has been hitting grounders at an high rate (for him).

Interestingly, Bautista's numbers for 2010, his breakout year, are as follows: .233 BABIP; 14.4 LD%; 31.1 GB%; 54.5 FB%

What does this all mean? I'd say that Pujols will have a better second third of the year. What happens in the last third is anyone's guess.
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Pujols has started slow before.

I think this year the slow start has seemed more pronounced.

With the numbers Bautista has, it's hard to go against him, although Pujols is still the amazing hitter we have seen in the past and he is now finally starting to find that power again.

Don't count on Bautistas' average to stay above .300 either.
    http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/justindog93/PiratesBannerForrexis.png

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    I think this year the slow start has seemed more pronounced.
    Probably mostly due to the free agent title hanging around

Quote Originally Posted by Stars_Rangers_82 View Post
    Probably mostly due to the free agent title hanging around
    And I wonder how much that might truly be affecting things. Is he pressing? Is the contract, or lack thereof, weighing him down? Obviously if he has another good year, his value would be higher whereas an off year could be used to lower his value.

Personally I think Pujols is slightly overrated. But this year Bautista is just better.
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrd26 View Post
    Personally I think Pujols is slightly overrated. But this year Bautista is just better.
    Yeah, it's going to tough for Pujols to keep up now that he's on the DL for the next month and a half.

As for his being overrated, I don't happen to agree. The man has been as consistently high a performer as you will find over the last 10 years (82.7 WAR -- wins above replacement -- with a low of 6.0 in 2002 and a high of 10.1 in 2003).

To put that in perspective, Lou Gehrig, arguably the greatest first baseman in baseball history, accumulated a 89.6 WAR in his first 10 full seasons (1925-1934), and he was playing on a team with a few other pretty good sluggers.
    "I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out." Bill Lee

Thread Information