PDA

View Full Version : Greg Halman stabbed to death

yankeebiscuitfan
11-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Seattle Mariners outfielder Greg Halman was killed this morning in and stabbing incident. His younger brother Jason Halman has been arrested by the Rotterdam police. Nothing is clear yet about the reason for this stabbing incident.

More to follow.

I am utterly shocked. This was one of the better Dutch players.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-21-2011, 07:40 AM
http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111121&content_id=26015348&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea

Old Sweater
11-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Very sad indeed. His brother being the main suspect can only make one feel worse for the family and fans.

RickD
11-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Very sad. I cannot imagine what his parents must be going through, to know one son killed another.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Very sad. I cannot imagine what his parents must be going through, to know one son killed another.

That were my thoughts as well.

Here you can see him together with my nephew a few weeks ago during the European Big League Tour:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1606705624435&set=p.1606705624435&type=2&theater

Mudge
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
All I can say is that sucks.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I heard it around 1 PM today. Since then I keep checking websites hoping on an article that says it is not true.

The last four weeks the Dutch baseball community was in euphoria because of the winning of the World Championship. And then all of a sudden this...

BobH
11-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I heard about this a few hours ago and was shocked by it. His brother has apparently been arrested and charged by the Rotterdam police. Knowing how much you love the baseball/Dutch connection, YBF, I immediately thought of you. Such a terrible tragedy...-BH

Mr. Baseball
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
This honestly ruined my day.

I feel like we've had our share of bad news this off-season. RIP Halman, you will be missed. :(

Mickey Mental
11-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Not much to say about this...........just an extremely sad situation.

RIP young man.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Today a Rotterdam newspaper stated that Greg Halman's brother was going through mental problems the last couple of months. He used medication and was visiting psychiatrists. People who know Halman's brother are convinced that he did this in a state of mental derangement.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-23-2011, 06:14 AM
http://seattlesportsnet.com/2011/11/22/what-we-can-take-away-from-the-passing-of-greg-halman/

A moving article.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Last night an interview with the attorney of Halman's brother was broadcasted. A very respected Dutch sports journalist was also at the inteview. This journalist knows the Halman family very well. He emphasized that both brothers were like blood brothers and that they were raised in a decent way. He told that the family knew that the last couple of weeks Halman's brother was have mental problems, something docters confirmed. The attorney told that Halman's brother is very confused at the moment. When talking to him, it is like there are three different persons talking to you.

RickD
11-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Do they have the "insanity" defense there YBF?

yankeebiscuitfan
11-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Do they have the "insanity" defense there YBF?

Yes we do. Normally many lawyers try to convince Judges that their client is insane.

Since the family of Halman claims that he wasn't his normal self lately, I believe it. According to his mom, Greg Halman called his mother and sister to come over to Rotterdam because his brother wasn't doing well.

Sad. Really sad.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I forgot to tell one very important thing. His family stated that Halman's brother heard voices in his head. That was the reason to turn on the radio that loud.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Fans were given the opportunity today to pay a final tribute to Greg Halman. In a gymnasium of the baseball club he started with, hundreds of people were attending the service.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Today the body of Greg Halman was buried near his home town of Haarlem. Litteraly hundreds of people (many of them wearing red caps at the request of his family) attended the ceremony.

RickD
11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Such a sad story. I hope his parents can get through this time.

OutfieldGrass
11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Very sad story indeed. The lawyer said we didn't know Greg's legacy until he died and its very true and unfortunate. As a fan I watched him play and tore his play apart as I wasn't sure he would ever amount to anything on the field. We don't get to see the personal side of things until something like this happens. I've been amazed with the comments made by players around the league who never got to play with Mr Halman but saw the energy and passion he brought to this game. Amazing.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
He was very passionate about the game. He loved to teach children the basics.

Regarding his own skills, he was an excellent fielder. But I will remember him as an all or nothing hitter. I think that the number of strikeouts proves my point.

Nevertheless it is sad that he can not live his dream any further. But at least during his too short life, he lived life to the max.

yankeebiscuitfan
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
The Dutch city of Haarlem will honor the deceased outfielder of the Seattle Mariners, Gregory Halman, by naming a square in front of Pim Mulier Stadium after him. A city council commission unanimously approved a proposal by initiator Jan Baaijens this weekend. Additionally Halman’s picture also is supposed to be displayed at the side of a ring road in Haarlem alongside other famous sports stars of the city. Halman was stabbed to death on November 21, 2011 at his home in Rotterdam.

runningshoes
01-21-2012, 04:50 PM
That's a nice homour.

Has anyone been charged?

runningshoes
01-21-2012, 04:51 PM
That's a nice honour.

Has anyone been charged?

yankeebiscuitfan
01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
That's a nice homour.

Has anyone been charged?

The last thing I heard about this is that his brother was still interrogated by the police. But at the time he was in mental disorder.

OutfieldGrass
03-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Just ordered a Greg Halman rookie card to add to my collection. It really meant a lot to add that card since he is shown in a Tacoma Rainiers uniform and I was able to watch him play down there in Tacoma.

yankeebiscuitfan
03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Just ordered a Greg Halman rookie card to add to my collection. It really meant a lot to add that card since he is shown in a Tacoma Rainiers uniform and I was able to watch him play down there in Tacoma.

What was your impression of him?
I remember him as a all-or-nothing hitter, hitting for the fences, resulting in a lot of K's.
I think that his strikeout numbers confirm my memory.

OutfieldGrass
03-02-2012, 08:38 PM
What was your impression of him?
I remember him as a all-or-nothing hitter, hitting for the fences, resulting in a lot of K's.
I think that his strikeout numbers confirm my memory.

I honestly would not have put much faith into him turning into more than a 4h OF with great power. He came a long way from a guy with attitude issues to being very well respected around the game though. He would have been very valuable even if he never became a starter.

yankeebiscuitfan
03-04-2012, 08:35 AM
The other day, this tribute was shown before the spring training game between the Mariners and the Athletics.

After four months, it still gives me goose bums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PnE3v7mZGCc#!

OutfieldGrass
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I had heard about the tribute but finally got a chance to watch it. Amazing. Hard not to shed a tear. Didn't know much about Mattox but I remember getting a chance to watch Greg Halman play in Tacoma. Such a great smile and played the game with a passion. Huge loss to the Mariners organization and my thoughts go out out to the family who not only lost one son but have to deal with the long road ahead for Jason Halman. They were very, very close and I cannot imagine what Jason is going through once this all sinks in.

yankeebiscuitfan
04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Mike Carp took the initiative to honor Greg Halman one more time.

He wants to honor Halman during the first home game of the season, by offering orange T-shirts with the text "Broer voor het leven" meaning brother for life. The money he raises will go to Greg Halman's foundation.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120403&content_id=27886362&notebook_id=27886368&vkey=notebook_sea&c_id=sea

cpgrad08
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
May he rest in peace.

OutfieldGrass
06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Mike Carp took the initiative to honor Greg Halman one more time.

He wants to honor Halman during the first home game of the season, by offering orange T-shirts with the text "Broer voor het leven" meaning brother for life. The money he raises will go to Greg Halman's foundation.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120403&content_id=27886362&notebook_id=27886368&vkey=notebook_sea&c_id=sea

Mike Carp did an amazing job with those shirts. He had wanted to offer them to the public, while donating any proceeds to the Halman family, but was shot down by the Jackie Robinson Estate. Very sad. It wasn't like he was going to make a profit from the shirts.

EDIT: Just noticed that was in the article. Very sad. Would have loved to frame one and put it on my wall.

chicagowhitesox1173
06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Why did the Jackie Robinson estate turm them down for?

yankeebiscuitfan
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Why did the Jackie Robinson estate turm them down for?

Mike Carp wanted to use a Jackie Robinson quote on the t-shirt. The JR estate didn't allow them to use it.

OutfieldGrass
06-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Mike Carp wanted to use a Jackie Robinson quote on the t-shirt. The JR estate didn't allow them to use it.

I don't understand why they would. Especially knowing the money was going to help the family.

yankeebiscuitfan
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't understand why they would. Especially knowing the money was going to help the family.

Me neither. A quote, though made by someone, isn't his possession isn't it?

Old Sweater
06-08-2012, 11:04 PM
The family of Jackie Robinson have been very selfish when it comes to any kind of pioneering done by a player from another country. Could be their lawyers being selfish, but hey, I think the family would have final say in the matter.

Wasn't it the Jackie Robinson family that didn't like the idea of retiring Roberto Clemente's # like MLB did for Jackie?

yankeebiscuitfan
08-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Today it was announced that Jeremy Halman, the brother who stabbed Greg Halman to death will be released on Insanity Defense. Because Jeremy Halman was in psychosis at the time of the murder he can not be blamed for his deeds.

astrosfanatic
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
not knowing much about the case, i hope that justice was served. I can't help but to feel sorry for the Halman family and all the pain this must bring them.

yankeebiscuitfan
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
not knowing much about the case, i hope that justice was served. I can't help but to feel sorry for the Halman family and all the pain this must bring them.

This thing has two sides. One, that the Halman family has lost a son and one that they are happy that one son is back in their family again after being kept in jail for almost 3/4 of a year.

People who know Jason Halman said from the start that he did not know what he was doing. I have mixed feelings about the verdict. I think I must be happy for the family and keep my thoughts for myself.

pooh555
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
It really is problematic from the family standpoint. If I were the guys parents, I would have some painfully mixed emotions about what happened, but I think it's good for them that they didn't lose both of their sons.

yankeebiscuitfan
08-22-2012, 06:20 AM
Here is a very good read about the Halman brothers and the relationship they had with each other and the world.

Tragic. Really tragic.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8286055/seattle-mariners-gregory-halman-days-leading-death-hands-brother-jason

RickD
08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
A Dutch court acquitted the brother of Seattle Mariners outfielder Greg Halman on Thursday of stabbing the baseball star to death last year, saying he was temporarily insane at the time.

Rotterdam District said Jason Halman "was in a state of psychosis at the time of the stabbing" and could therefore not be held accountable for his actions.

In a written statement, the court said Jason Halman was allowed to walk free after psychiatric and psychological assessments found "there is only a remote chance of any reoccurrence; it is well possible that the psychosis has been a singular event."

Well that's not really comforting!

Old Sweater
09-01-2012, 07:46 PM
A Dutch court acquitted the brother of Seattle Mariners outfielder Greg Halman on Thursday of stabbing the baseball star to death last year, saying he was temporarily insane at the time.

Rotterdam District said Jason Halman "was in a state of psychosis at the time of the stabbing" and could therefore not be held accountable for his actions.

In a written statement, the court said Jason Halman was allowed to walk free after psychiatric and psychological assessments found "there is only a remote chance of any reoccurrence; it is well possible that the psychosis has been a singular event."

Well that's not really comforting!

WOW, about sums the verdict up!

My hometown Pueblo, Colorado is home to the state mental hospital. They let one guy out and he went back to the same house where he committed a murder and committed another one.

yankeebiscuitfan
11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Man! Time flies. Today it is already a year ago that Greg Halman was killed by his brother.

My thoughts are with the Halman family.

AhCrap
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh wow, it doesn't seem like a year has passed.